I looked over and noticed my intern updating the spreadsheet that was meant to be a back-burner project — on an afternoon when we were pushing up against two major deadlines. When I asked if she’d completed her work on the other assignments, she looked at me with bewilderment.
That’s when I learned that if Jane didn’t receive an assignment in writing, to her, it didn’t exist.
It was my first experience supervising interns, and it was a crash-course in managing people with different communication styles. In an article in Social Science Insights , Zuleyka Zevallos explains the difference between extraverts and introverts: There are people who work through a scenario by thinking out loud, and people who like to process the situation for themselves before giving their take. Within this context, I find it easier to understand how an employee could say he understands a project during an initial meeting — but later, evidence through his work that he missed significant parts of the assignment. Read more...
More about Communication, Introverts, Extroverts, Business, and Contributor
from Mashable http://ift.tt/1EEWmRI
via IFTTT
No comments:
Post a Comment